Best Culture & Art in Cayo
Local Recommendations from our My Guide Belize team
Art in Belize is made famous by the Garcia Sisters who live in the Cayo District. Belize is also famous for its Indigo arts. The word indigo means a hue of blue/violet and this color was used by the ancient Mayans by midwives to sooth pregnant women and pregnant women would wear the color to protect their child.
The five sisters revived the art of the Tucatec Maya as well as worked to maintain the culture, tradition, and language of the Belize Maya. The stones collected are locked in sheds and buried in the ground until it comes time to carve them.
Book Top Experiences and Tours in Belize:If youʻre booking your trip to Belize last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Caye Caulker: Hol Chan Marine Reserve 7-Stop Snorkeling Tour
- San Ignacio: Crystal Cave & Blue Hole National Park + Lunch
- From Belize: One-Way Shared Shuttle to San Ignacio
- Belize City: Mayan Temple Exploration, Cave-Tube, & Zipline
- Caye Caulker: 7-Stop Snorkeling in the Belize Barrier Reef